Who We Serve
We serve individuals 21 and older
with cognitive and developmental disabilities.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: In order to ensure that all campers have a positive and enriching experience, and Camp Blue Skies staff/volunteers can give each camper the attention they deserve, Camp Blue Skies requires that all campers meet the following criteria:
Campers must be…
- Mobile, and capable of benefitting from a residential camp experience with structured support.
- Able to listen and follow simple directions, communicate adequately their interests and needs.
- Able to manage basic self-care skills such as eating, dressing and toileting.
- Able to participate in camp activities without needing significant medical or behavioral support (do not exhibit significant behavioral or aggression traits and do not need individual nursing support to manage health needs).
- Interested in and willing to participate in group activities, including those that take place outdoors.
“Dear Dick and Staff of Camp Blue Skies, Thank you so much for an absolutely wonderful mind blowing experience at camp!!! I’m so looking forward to next year sign me up. You helped me to step out of my comfort zone and experience an extreme ride called the Giant swing. I have never in my life had the guts to do it….” - 2010 Camper
“…..Our son matured and experienced challenges that his overly protective mother had never given him. Even his speech is clearer. I am just amazed. He seems to have a new found confidence and enthusiasm about life in general and camp, specifically….” - 2010 Parent
“…We are still trying to digest our collective experience from last week, and in brief it was one of the most rewarding experiences we’ve ever had……. It was such a privilege to get to know these wonderful and special campers who each had their own unique personalities. I loved the fact that so many of the stereotypes that one associates with mentally challenged individuals was totally shattered. I will never forget the amazing warmth and caring of campers….” - 2010 Volunteers